Twitter’s new program “Twitter for Android Experiment Program” which allows anyone to sign-up and test out the latest features of the Twitter app before everyone else. All you need to do to join their Google Group where you’ll get more details about the beta-testing program. Once you agree to become a tester you’ll receive a notification once a new build is ready, and it will replace the current Twitter build already on your phone.
As you’ll be testing features that are in “beta” you can expect some bug and some functions may never make it to the final version of the app.
Here is the tutorial from the Google group:
Welcome to the Twitter for Android Experiment Program
This experiment will help us improve Twitter for Android and make it more accessible to people around the world, across a range of Android devices.
Here’s what to expect:
If you opt in to become a tester and are accepted into the program, you will receive a notification prompting you to update your app once a new build is ready
This experimental build will replace the current Twitter app on your Android phone
Given that it’s a test app, some features may not function as expected. We’ll need your help to report things that are not working properly so we can fix those issues.
We’ll be experimenting a lot in this app as well, which means some features may never actually ship.
You can leave the experiment program at any time and return to the regular version of Twitter for Android by clicking on Leave the test in the Google Play Store.
By enrolling in this experiment you are agreeing to the Android Experiment Program Terms.
You’re almost done…
First, make sure you’ve joined this Google Group using the same email address you use to access Google Play. Once you’ve joined this Google Group with the correct email address follow these easy steps:
2. Click “Download Twitter from the Play Store” to update your app
To give us your feedback or report bugs tap the Report a Bug feature under the ••• icon to bring up the off-screen menu.Please make sure you include:
- Steps to reproduce the issue you’re experiencing and
- Connection type (Wifi or mobile network)What should I do once I’ve joined the program?
- Turn on automatic app updates for Twitter for Android by opening Google Play Store app > Settings > Check the box next to Auto-update apps
- Install the new weekly updates that will include new experiments
- Use the experiment app normally as if you are using the production version – if you are experiencing bugs, please report them to us through the Report A Bug button within the settings of the app.
- Using the correct email address - It’s important that you join this Google Group with same the e-mail address associated with your Google Play Store account. To find out which email address you use, open the Play Store app and tap on Menu > Accounts.
- Error 404 – If you see this error message, you either 1) haven’t joined this Google Group or 2) you joined the Google Group with a different email address than what’s currently used in your Google Play account.
- How to uninstall the app – To uninstall the Twitter for Android experiment app, go to your phone’s settings, then Applications > Manage applications > Twitter > Uninstall.
- Trouble downloading the app – If you’ve completed steps 1-3 listed above and you’re still experiencing download issues, learn how to troubleshoot this problem in the Google Play Help Center.