Google finally released the new launcher on to the Play Store for other devices. Owners of older Nexus devices and any Google Play Edition device can download the new launcher from Google Play Store. The launcher, which was formerly known as “Google Home” or the “Google Experience Launcher,” has been renamed to “Google Now Launcher,” a reference to Google’s predictive search card interface. The new launcher is an official way to easily get a close-to-stock experience on any device, and it pushes users toward performing more Google searches. It also takes advantage of new Android 4.4 features like transparent status and system bars. Saying “OK Google” while on the home screen will trigger the voice recognition to start listening for commands.
Upgrade the launcher on your device to make Google Now one swipe away. From your primary home screen, swipe right to access Google Now cards that give you just the right information, at just the right time.Available on Nexus or Google Play edition devices with Android 4.4 (KitKat).
• Google Now on your home screen – it’s easier than ever to get just the right information at just the right time.
• Just say “Ok Google” – when you’re on your home screen, just say “Ok Google” to trigger voice input. Then say your search query. Or tell your phone what to do, like send a text message, get directions, or play a song (available in the US, UK, and Canada).
• Faster search – tap the search box and you can enter your query immediately.
• Easy access to your favorite Google products and services, like Gmail, YouTube, and Maps.
• Larger viewing area – the status and navigation bars are now translucent, so your wallpaper pops from every pixel, and is even visible when you expand your apps drawer (when supported by device).
• Intuitive wallpaper picker – select any image that’s stored on your device, or in the cloud. Position and preview your wallpaper before you set it.
If you have a Nexus device or a Google Play edition phone, you can now have the Google Now launcher!