MHL Consortium announced the superMHL specification, the next-generation of MHL technology for CE and mobile devices. Building on its market leadership, superMHL delivers significant mobile advancements such as higher resolution and frame rates along with 40W of power charging, while broadening MHL’s reach in home theater connectivity by supporting 8K video resolution and expanded audio formats. With superMHL, consumers can link their mobile devices, set-top boxes(STBs), Blu-ray Disc players, AVRs, streaming media sticks and other source devices to TVs and displays. The release of a new reversible superMHL connector supports enhanced video formats to deliver lifelike, immersive content between home theater products and displays.
Features of superMHL Include:
- Delivery upto 8K 120fps video
- Deep Color support up to 48-bit color depths
- Wider color gamut to view content the way film makers intended
- High-Dynamic Range (HDR) support to strike the perfect balance of bright spectral highlights along with shadow details
- Immersive surround sound with support for object audio such as Dolby Atmos, DTS- UHD, 3D audio, and an audio-only mode
- Advanced connectivity configurations to link multiple MHL devices together (TV, AVR, Blu-ray player) and control them via one remote
- Power charging up to 40W
- Content on multiple displays when connecting a single device
- New reversible superMHL connector
- New support for the MHL Alt Mode for the USB Type-C specification
Introducing the superMHL Connector
superMHL mandates a minimum set of feature requirements so consumers are guaranteed a full video experience on their 4K or 8K devices. To support these advanced features, MHL has introduced the new reversible superMHL connector. This 32 pin connector can carry concurrent video, data and power charging all in a slim, consumer-friendly form factor. A reversible design means that consumers don’t have to worry about the plug’s orientation or the c able’s direction eliminating frustration and offering a high level of flexibility.
“As the world’s leading TV brand, Samsung continues to innovate as an MHL Promoter to create the first 8K interface and the release of a reversible, consumer-friendly superMHL connector,” said John Ryu, vice president of Visual Display, Samsung Electronics. “superMHL is designed for higher performance to deliver the best possible TV resolution so consumers can enjoy superior color, incredible contrast and true-to-life picture.”
With more than 750 million MHL devices on the market, superMHL is backward-compatible with previous MHL 1, 2 and 3 specification versions and supports the latest HDCP 2.2 content protection for the secure delivery of premium content.
“MHL enables consumers to share what they love – photos, videos, music and ideas – with the world around them. Our goal is to make content more meaningful and accessible,” said Rob Tobias, president, MHL, LLC. “With the release of superMHL, consumers can experience content beyond resolution, focus on the picture instead of the pixels, and live in a world where TVs are truly windows into the future.”